This course is designed for people who have a passion for working with companion animals to ensure they receive the best care and welfare. This qualification will provide you the necessary skills and knowledge to work in an organisation that provides professional companion animal care. A companion animal attendant undertakes reception and ‘housekeeping’ duties as well as concentrating on the care needs of companion animals which may include pet grooming. Companion animal workers require patience and a genuine empathy for animals, excellent customer service skills as well as high standards of cleanliness and professionalism.
Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world with over two thirds of households owning pets. Companion animal services are entirely based on providing care for animals in all their forms. Any animal that is under the care of someone needs to be looked after and in addition to basic food and water needs, some animals require higher levels of care. Companion animal care focuses on ensuring that all aspects of the animal’s wellbeing are managed to ensure the highest quality of life is maintained and where necessary their needs are advocated for.
Key tasks and functions this qualification will prepare you for include:
- Completing animal care and hygiene routines
- Maintaining and monitoring animal health and wellbeing
- Providing first aid for animals
- Providing basic care for companion animals
- Complying with infection control policies and procedures
Benefits of Studying Course:
- Gain a nationally recognised accredited qualification
- Be work ready for an employment growth sector. According to the Australian Government’s Job Outlook Service, the sector has “strong” future growth prospects and provides strong career pathways into a diverse range of careers in animal welfare and care
- Access to an employment area that offers a diversity of roles and working conditions – including flexible hours and geographic location
- Develop strong communication, team work and customer service skills
- Pet Shop Assistant
- Aquarium Assistant
- Assistant Animal Welfare Officer
- Animal Control and Regulation Assistant
- Animal Shelter Assistant
- Animal Care Receptionist and Support Officer
- Kennel or Cattery Attendant
- Grooming Assistant
- Dog Sitter or Walker
Delivery Mode & Work Placement:
- ACM30417 Certificate III in Companion Animal Services (General Companion Animals Focus) is delivered online. You will have access to Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you. A number of units within this qualification include practical tasks that need to be completed in a suitable work place.
- To complete these practical tasks you will need to find work placement with an animal care facility approved by Skills Generation and it is important you commence this process at the beginning of the course. Skills Generation staff and your trainer will be available to assist you in identifying relevant organisations. You will be covered by Skills Generation insurance when undertaking work placement as an enrolled learner and as part of the course requirements. You will be responsible for the cost of any travel and accommodation if the work placement is outside your region.
- The practical tasks you undertake will be guided by a performance assessment workbook which will be assessed by your trainer/assessor. You will need to be filmed or photographed undertaking specific tasks common to an animal care workplace. Mobile phones are perfect for this.
- ACM 30417 Certificate III in Companion Animal Services (Grooming Focus) has a blended delivery with online theory, a 4 week training block and 2 individual training days for practical assessments at our Cleveland premises. For the online theory you will have access to Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you. The block training will be held 9.00 am - 3:00 pm, Tuesday to Friday for 4 weeks.
If you cannot attend the Cleveland premises for the 4 week block training and practical assessments, please talk to your trainer about potential alternative arrangements, which may include RPL for experienced groomers.
- Courses commence on a rolling basis for your convenience. Please contact Student Services at email@example.com to find the next start date for this course.
Recommended Study Hours Per Week:
20 hours per week. This may vary for learners who are able to claim Recognition of Prior Learning.
Learning Materials May Include:
- Paper based and/or digital content with assessments accessed online
- Access to Skills Generation Learning Management System (LMS) including Library resources
- Skype/other for training sessions or meetings
- Inclusive Learning Strategies are also available for learners with disabilities, enabling them to participate on the same basis as other learners
Assessments May Include:
- Professional discussion with your trainer
- Individual tasks, assignments and case studies
- Practical assessments
- Work-based reflective tasks
- Demonstration of practical skills through digital recording as applicable
Certification / Recognition:
On successful completion of all units of competency, having completed the practical and written assessments, you will receive the nationally recognised qualification:
ACM30417 Certificate III in Companion Animal Services
The qualification is awarded by Skills Generation RTO41008, with training and assessment having been delivered by Skills Generation or a Third Party approved training provider.
- Access to a computer with word processing, email, Skype/other, PDF reader capabilities and a reliable internet connection
- Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) levels that indicate you have a high probability of being able to successfully complete the course. Skills Generation can help you assess your current LLN levels as required to ensure we are able to effectively support you
- Ability to attend block training and practical assessments as required
- Ability to allocate appropriate study hours per week
Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) offers you a one-stop-shop for accessing your learning content and assessment, as well as allowing you to communicate with your trainer/assessor and other learners if you wish. You can upload your assessments with no size or format limits as well as accessing your trainer/assessor’s feedback and to monitor your results.
You will have access to the Learning Management System 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you. The Skills Generation LMS Resources Library also provides you with additional resources that may enhance your learning experience.
About Recognition of Prior Learning:
If you are currently working, or have previously worked in a relevant industry, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL applies where you have workplace experience/competency that can be formally assessed against the units of competency in this course. There is an RPL Kit developed for this qualification and if you wish to undertake an RPL process, please advise Student Services or your trainer/assessor.
You’ll Need a USI:
The Commonwealth Government requires all learners doing nationally recognised, accredited training courses to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Learners are unable to enrol without their USI. To find out more and obtain your USI please go to: https://www.usi.gov.au/students
What’s Your Investment?
This course currently attracts government funding if you meet certain eligibility criteria. For those who are eligible your co-contribution will be between $2,100.00 and $3,900.00 depending on your circumstances and elective selections.
Please go to our online eligibility form and complete an obligation-free assessment to determine if you are eligible for this government funding. You can then make an informed decision about proceeding.
Further information on the government funding, including eligibility criteria and funding conditions, can be found on the Student Fact Sheet which is accessible via the link below:
If you are not eligible for funding, the full cost of the courses are as follows:
ACM30417 Certificate III in Companion Animal Services (choosing General Focus electives): $6,000
ACM30417 Certificate III in Companion Animal Servicers (choosing Grooming Focus electives): $7,000
Payment Plans are available through the PaySmart payment platform. This allows you to make weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment instalments – please note that fees apply. Student Services can assist you with further details.
We’re Here to Help:
For all course content, assessments and work placement queries, please contact your trainer/assessor.
If you change your address or contact details, have questions over funding, payments, USI, enrolment etc., please contact Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that learners must keep us updated on any changes to their contact details.
Student Services can also connect you to the LMS Coordinator who is here to help you navigate Skills Generation’s LMS.
Anything that will make your study life easier, we’re here for you – so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
After completing this course, you may be interested in enhancing your skills, knowledge, and job promotion prospects by going on to study:
ACM30617 Certificate III in Pet Grooming (only one additional unit required)
ACM40418 Certificate IV in Veterinary Nursing
ACM40117 Certificate IV in Animal Control and Regulation
ACM40317 Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services
Need to Know More?
Call our helpful team on 1800 838 295 if you need more information. It’s important to us that you enrol in the right course for you. The better informed you are, the better choices you make.
Call us, we are here to help!