IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course is designed for people who have a passion for supporting those with a disability to reach their full potential. Building on your existing industry experience, the CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability will take you from the foundations of disability care, through to more advanced practices and leadership skills. You will learn to empower people with a disability, develop person-centred behaviour supports for clients with varying disabilities, foster community participation and social inclusion, and lead other support workers. This course is ideal for those looking to gain the advanced skills necessary to apply for more senior roles in the disability sector.
About the Sector:
Disability work is focused on providing person-centred, individualised support to people with a disability who often require life-long support to meet their needs and goals. Workers, therefore, build strong professional connections and relationships with those they actively support. Work across the sector is varied and can involve working in people’s homes, residential and/or community-based settings, assisting people to undertake personal care and access communities and activities of their choice.
Key tasks include:
- Supervise and / or coordinate small teams of support workers
- Contribute to the development, implementation and monitoring of individualised support plans
- Manage legal and ethical compliance
- Provide person-centred care and support
- Facilitate community participation and social inclusion
- Work with clients with complex needs
- Provide positive behaviour supports
- Apply safe workplace practices
This work is often undertaken through employment in disability sector organisations, government services and broader community service agencies. Workers will:
- Work without direct supervision
- Implement and promote a person-centred approach to all work
- Provide advanced level supports for individuals
- Undertake supervision and on the job training for other workers
- Responsible for implementing policies and procedures of the organisation and contributing to continuous improvement processes
- Undertake appropriate reporting to meet the organisations legal and ethical requirements
Benefits of Studying the Course:
- Gain an Australia-wide accredited qualification that is industry recognised
- Develop advanced practitioner skills for more complex disability support requirements
- Develop supervision skills for working as team leader / coordinator
- Gain a learning pathway to Diploma and Advanced Diploma qualifications
- Access to an employment growth area that offers a diversity of roles and working conditions – including flexible hours and geographic locations
- Gain portable skills sets such as communication and relationship management
The CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability qualification provides a wide variety of employment opportunities including:
Senior Disability Support Worker
Disability Team Leader/Supervisor
Residential Care Supervisor
Senior Personal Care Assistant
6 months to 12 months
There are 14 units of study in the qualification made up of 11 core units and 3 elective units of competency
CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
CHCDIS002 Follow established person-centred behaviour supports
CHCDIS005 Develop and provide person-centred service responses
CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
CHCDIS008 Facilitate community participation and social inclusion
CHCDIS009 Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person centred approach
CHCDIS010 Provide person-centred services to people with disability with complex needs
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCLEG003 Manage legal and ethical compliance
HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
CHCAOD001 Work in an alcohol and other drugs context
CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
CHCPRP001 Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
There are no pre requisites for any of the core or elective courses.
- The CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability is delivered online only. You’ll have access to Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you
- A minimum of 120 hours mandatory work placement is required. Usually, people undertaking the Certificate IV in Disability will already hold the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability) or equivalent and already be working in the sector. The 120 hours placement can be done within your existing workplace and performance activity assessment tasks will need to be undertaken. The work placement is specifically required to demonstrate competence in the unit CHCDIS005 Develop and provide person-centred services responses.
- Please work with your trainer to confirm work placement requirements.
Recommended Study Hours Per Week:
Maximum 25 hours per week, excluding placement time. This may vary for learners who are able to claim Recognition of Prior Learning.
Learning Materials and Methods May Include:
- Paper based and / or digital content with assessments accessed online
- Access to Skills Generation Learning Management System (LMS) including Library resources
- Skype / other for one-on-one training sessions, group discussions and virtual classrooms
- Inclusive Learning Strategies are also available for learners with disabilities enabling them to participate on the same basis as other learners
Skills Generation provides a facilitative and collaborative environment to support the underpinnings of effective community services practice.
Assessments May Include:
- Professional discussions / mentoring with your trainer
- Individual tasks, assignments and case studies
- Work based reflective tasks
- Third party reporting from your workplace supervisor
- Demonstration of practical skills through digital recording as applicable
On successful completion of all units of competency and having completed the mandatory work placement, you will receive the nationally recognised qualification:
CHC43115 Certificate IV in Disability
The qualification is awarded by Skills Generation RTO41008, with training and assessment having been delivered by Skills Generation or a Third Party approved training provider.
- For those looking to access government funding you need to already hold a CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support and be an existing worker in the disability sector, which includes parents and unpaid carers of NDIS participants
- Access to a computer with word processing, email, Skype / other, PDF reader capabilities and a reliable internet connection
- Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) levels that indicate you have a high probability of being able to successfully complete the course. Skills Generation can help you assess your current LLN levels as required to ensure we are able to effectively support you
- You will need a Blue Card and NDIS worker screening check. Your trainer will provide you with further details
- Most employers expect you to hold a current First Aid Certificate and have a police check
- Ability to allocate appropriate study hours per week
To achieve this qualification, you must have completed 120 hours of work placement in a relevant community or disability services setting. This is required to meet the specific requirements of unit CHCDIS005 Develop and provide person-centred service responses.
As most people undertaking this course will already be employed in the disability services sector, placement can be undertaken in most workplaces. However, for those not working in the sector, you will need to find your own work placement with an organisation approved by Skills Generation. It is important you commence this process at the beginning of the course.
Skills Generation staff and your trainer will be available to assist you in identifying relevant organisations. You will be covered by Skills Generation insurance when undertaking work placement as an enrolled learner and as part of the course requirements. If you are employed, you are covered by your workplace Workers Compensation policy. You will be responsible for the cost of any travel and accommodation if the work placement is outside your region. Although not guaranteed, often once learners have successfully completed their work placement they are offered permanent employment by the organisation.
For those learners already working in the disability sector please work with your trainer to confirm if your employment can be used to demonstrate the required competencies of the unit.
The Federal Government announced on 28 June 2021 that the Covid vaccination will become mandatory for all Aged Care workers, with a target date of mid September 2021 for all workers in the sector to receive their first shot. We expect a policy document to be released on this shortly which will likely also impact individuals completing work placement if they are working with older people. If you have any questions please contact your trainer or Student Services at email@example.com who can assist with this.
Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) offers you a one-stop-shop for accessing your learning content and assessment, as well as allowing you to communicate with your trainer/assessor and other students if you wish. You can upload your assessments with no size or format limits as well as accessing your trainers/assessor’s feedback and monitor your results.
You’ll have access 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you. The Skills Generation LMS Resources Library provides you with additional resources that may enhance your learning experience.
About Recognition of Prior Learning:
If you are currently working, or have previously worked in a relevant industry, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL applies where you have work place experience/competency that can be formally assessed against the units of competency in this course. There is an RPL Kit developed for this qualification and if you wish to undertake an RPL process, please advise Student Services or your trainer/assessor. Students are responsible for providing all evidence to substantiate their RPL claim.
RPL can be for a partial (one or more units) or full qualification (all units) so if you believe you have the evidence to support a request for an RPL, please speak with your trainer.
You’ll Need a USI:
The Commonwealth Government requires all students doing nationally recognised, accredited training courses to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Students are unable to enrol without their USI. To find out more and obtain your USI please go to: https://www.usi.gov.au/ students.
What’s Your Investment?
This course currently attracts government funding if you meet certain eligibility criteria.
Please note that to be eligible for government funding you must already hold a CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (or superseded qualification) and be an existing worker in the disability sector, which includes parents and unpaid carers of NDIS participants.
For those who are eligible for subsidy, your co-contribution for the course could be as little as $100 - $150. Please go to our online eligibility form and complete an obligation free assessment and we will come back to you with the results. You can then make an informed decision about proceeding.
If you are not eligible for funding, the full cost of this course is $3,500.
Payment Plans are available through the PaySmart payment platform. This allows you to make weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment instalments – please note that fees apply. Paying in instalments allows you to manage your finances within your budget. Student Services can assist you with further details.
We’re Here to Help:
For all course content, assessments and work placement queries your trainer/assessor is the best person to contact.
If you change your address or contact details, have questions about funding, payments, USI, enrolment etc., please contact Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note that we must to kept updated on any changes to contact details.
Student Services can also connect you to the LMS Coordinator who is here to help you navigate Skills Generation’s LMS.
Anything that will make your study life easier, we’re here for you – so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
When you complete this course, you may want to enhance your skills and knowledge and your job promotion prospects by going on to study:
CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services
Need to Know More?
Call our helpful team on 1800 838 295 if you need more information. It’s important to us that you enrol in the right course for you. The better informed you are, the better choices you make.
Call us, we are here to help!
REGISTER FOR MORE INFORMATION
Enter your details here to get more information and download the course brochure
GET MORE INFORMATION
WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY
Every single team member I have met from day one is friendly, helpful and goes the extra mile to help students succeed.
The class is informative yet interactive with very experienced teachers.
Adult learners get to know each and form a great team.
Skills Gen helped me arrange placements and are very experienced and professional with handling any roadblocks that stand between you and getting into that career.
Highly recommend it to all my friends as I have gotten so much out of the course.
It has helped with the needed motivated to get an income to help myself and my young son improve our lives and have a brighter future.
Thanks again Skills Gen, you are all superstars!
I cannot recommend Skills Gen enough. When I first made contact with them, they were so welcoming and friendly and wanted the process to be about finding the best course/career suited to me.
The course work is easy to follow online and, in a classroom it is hands-on, taught by some of the best educators I've ever met.
Skills Generation did everything they could to make my experience a stress free one, and when I had issues with applying or even at the end finding placement, they were there to help me through it all.
I have since moved interstate, and the amount of job opportunities I have amazes me and it’s all thanks to the team at Skills Gen!