This course is for those who have a passion for working with at risk people in the community. The CHC40313 Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention develops the skills and knowledge necessary to work with and support at risk children, young people and families who require early intervention and family support services to improve their lives.
On completion of this course you will be qualified to provide services in relation to child protection and supervised access visits as well as personal care, maintenance and other activities for vulnerable children, young people and families. Services may be provided within the family support context and/or residential and out of home care.
About the Sector:
Child, youth and family intervention (CYFI) work is focused on providing services and support related to improving the personal living and emotional circumstances of children or young people at risk and their families. These families are often stressed through social isolation, poverty, mental illness, drug and alcohol use or violence. CYFI workers are specifically trained to work directly with those at risk, develop strong professional relationships that enable them to reduce the risk and improve the lives of those they support on a daily basis. These services can be provided in the community or in residential and out of home care settings.
Key tasks include:
- Implement individual protection plans for children and young people
- Work with children and young people with complex trauma and attachment issues and needs
- Support people and families to improve relationships
- Work effectively in trauma informed care
- Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
This work is often undertaken through employment in government services and broader community service agencies. Workers will:
- Work collaboratively as part of a team of support workers
- Work collaboratively to maintain an environment safe for children and young people
- Promote cultural safety for First Nations and other Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) people
- Participate in workplace health and safety
- Implement policies and guidelines of the employing organisation
- Undertake largely self-directed work with fairly autonomous decision-making capacity within established parameters and under the indirect supervision of a manager
Benefits of Studying Course:
- Gain an Australia-wide accredited qualification that is industry recognised
- Develop strong communication and relationship management skills
- Gain a learning pathway to Diploma qualifications in addition to higher level qualifications in child and youth safety, disability and home and community care
- Access to an employment growth area that offers a diversity of roles and working conditions – including flexible hours and geographic locations
Child protection support worker
Family support worker
Behavioural Support Officer
Family support worker
Residential Care Officer
9 months – 12 months
There are 16 units of study in the qualification made up of 10 core units and 6 elective units of competency
CHCCCS006 Facilitate individual service planning and delivery
CHCCOM002 Use communication to build relationships
CHCDEV001 Confirm client developmental status
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCPRT003 Work collaboratively to maintain an environment safe for children and young people
CHCPRT005 Work within a practice framework
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
CHCCCS009 Facilitate responsible behaviour
CHCPRT009 Provide primary residential care
CHCCCS016 Respond to client needs
CHCFAM003 Support people to improve relationships
CHCMHS007 Work effectively in trauma informed care
CHCPRT010 Work with children and young people with complex trauma and attachment issues and needs
There are no pre requisites for any of the core or elective courses.
- The CHC40313 is delivered online only. You’ll have access to Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you
- A number of units within this qualification include tasks that need to be completed in a suitable work place. This includes at least 120 hours to demonstrate competence in the unit “CHCPRT003 Work collaboratively to maintain an environment safe for children and young people” Please work with your trainer to confirm the work experience you will be doing can be used to demonstrate the required competencies.
Recommended Study Hours Per Week:
25 hours per week, excluding work placement time. This may vary for students who are able to claim Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). For current industry workers this could be considerably less.
Learning Materials May Include:
- Paper based and/or digital content with assessments accessed online
- Access to Skills Generation Learning Management System (LMS) including Library resources
- Skype/other for training sessions, group discussions and virtual classrooms
- Inclusive Learning Strategies are also available for learners with disabilities enabling them to participate on the same basis as other learners
Skills Generation provides a facilitative and collaborative environment to support the underpinnings of effective community services practice.
Assessments May Include:
- Professional discussions with your trainer
- Individual tasks, assignments and case studies
- Work based reflective tasks
- Third party reporting from your workplace supervisor as applicable
- Demonstration of practical skills through digital recording if relevant
Certification / Recognition:
On successful completion of all units of competency and having completed all practical and written tasks, you will receive the nationally recognised qualification:
CHC40313 Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention
The qualification is awarded by Skills Generation RTO 41008, with training and assessment having been delivered by Skills Generation or a Third Party approved training provider.
- Access to a computer with word processing, email, Skype/other, PDF reader capabilities and an internet connection
- Language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) levels that indicate you have a high probability of being able to successfully complete the course. Skills Generation can help you assess your current LLN levels as required to ensure we are able to effectively support you
- Current Blue Card. Please contact Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org who can assist with this
- Most employers/work placement hosts will expect you to hold a current First Aid Certificate and have a police check. Please attend to these urgently as you will likely not be able to start your mandatory placement without them.
- Ability to allocate appropriate study hours per week
To achieve this qualification, vocational work placement is required to meet work based task requirements in several units. This includes at least 120 hours to demonstrate competence in the unit “CHCPRT003 Work collaboratively to maintain an environment safe for children and young people”
As many students studying this course will already be in full time employment in community services, it may be that their current experience can be used to meet these requirements. You will need to review your work history with the trainer prior to commencing the course to see if your experience can be used.
Where you are not currently employed in a relevant community services organisation you will need to find your own work placement with an organisation approved by Skills Generation. It is important you commence this process at the beginning of the course. Skills Generation staff and your trainer will be available to assist you in identifying relevant organisations.
You will be covered by Skills Generation insurance when undertaking work placement as an enrolled learner and as part of the course requirements. You will be responsible for the cost of any travel and accommodation if the work placement is outside your region.
Although not guaranteed, sometimes once learners have successfully completed their work placement they are offered paid employment by the organisation.
Skills Generation’s Learning Management System (LMS) offers you a one-stop-shop for accessing your learning content and assessment, as well as allowing you to communicate with your trainer/assessor and other students if you wish. You can upload your assessments with no size or format limits as well as accessing your trainers/assessor’s feedback and monitoring your results.
You’ll have access 24/7 for ultimate study flexibility at times that suit you. The Skills Generation LMS Resources Library provides you with additional resources that may enhance your learning experience.
About Recognition of Prior Learning:
If you are currently working, or have previously worked in a relevant industry, you may be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL applies where you have work place experience/competency that can be formally assessed against the units of competency in this course. There is an RPL Kit developed for this qualification and if you wish to undertake an RPL process, please advise Student Services or your trainer/assessor.
You’ll Need a USI:
The Commonwealth Government requires all students doing nationally recognised, accredited training courses to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Students are unable to enrol without their USI. To find out more and obtain your USI please go to: https://www.usi.gov.au/ students
What’s Your Investment?
This course currently attracts government funding if you meet certain eligibility criteria. For those who are eligible your co-contribution for the course could be as little as $100 - $150.
Please go to our online eligibility form and complete an obligation free assessment and we will come back to you with the results. You can then make an informed decision about proceeding.
Further information on the government funding, including eligibility criteria and funding conditions, can be found on the Student Fact Sheet which is accessible via the link below:
If you are not eligible for funding, the full cost of this course is $3,500.00
Payment Plans are available through the PaySmart payment platform. This allows you to make weekly, fortnightly or monthly payment instalments – please note that fees apply. Paying in instalments allows you to manage your finances within your budget. Student Services can assist you with further details.
We’re Here to Help:
For all course content, assessments and work placement queries your trainer/assessor is the best person to contact.
If you change your address or contact details, have questions over funding, payments, USI, enrolment etc., please contact Student Services at email@example.com . Please note that students must keep us updated on any changes to their contact details.
Student Services can also connect you to the LMS Coordinator who is here to help you navigate Skills Generation’s LMS.
Anything that will make your study life easier, we’re here for you – so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
When you complete this course, you may want to enhance your skills and knowledge and your job promotion prospects by going on to study:
CHC50313 Diploma of Child, Youth and Family Intervention
CHC52015 Diploma of Community Services
Need to Know More?
Call our helpful team on 1800 838 295 if you need more information. It’s important to us that you enrol in the right course for you. The better informed you are, the better choices you make.
Call us, we are here to help!
REGISTER FOR MORE INFORMATION
Enter your details here to get more information and download the course brochure
WHAT OTHERS HAVE TO SAY
Every single team member I have met from day one is friendly, helpful and goes the extra mile to help students succeed.
The class is informative yet interactive with very experienced teachers.
Adult learners get to know each and form a great team.
Skills Gen helped me arrange placements and are very experienced and professional with handling any roadblocks that stand between you and getting into that career.
Highly recommend it to all my friends as I have gotten so much out of the course.
It has helped with the needed motivated to get an income to help myself and my young son improve our lives and have a brighter future.
Thanks again Skills Gen, you are all superstars!
I cannot recommend Skills Gen enough. When I first made contact with them, they were so welcoming and friendly and wanted the process to be about finding the best course/career suited to me.
The course work is easy to follow online and, in a classroom it is hands-on, taught by some of the best educators I've ever met.
Skills Generation did everything they could to make my experience a stress free one, and when I had issues with applying or even at the end finding placement, they were there to help me through it all.
I have since moved interstate, and the amount of job opportunities I have amazes me and it’s all thanks to the team at Skills Gen!